A Travellerspoint blog

Airlie Beach

We arrived in Airlie and booked a trip to the Witsunday Islands with which we got free accomodation at Magnums hostel. That evening we tactilcally went to bed early before getting up at 3am to go to a bar which had a lock in, to watch the england - sweden game which started at 5am. It was a good atmosphere in the bar with lots of chanting and banter between the english and swedish fans.

Next day we spent chilling at the lagoon (man made pool). That evening we went for a couple of drinks with a couple sharing our room and even set our room-mate up with a job.

The next morning we bumped into a friend from uni, Hazel, and then that afternoon, we boarded our boat for a 3 day trip around the Witsunday Islands. Our boat was meant to take 30 but only 13 were onboard. Only 3 of us were male and it was clear from the outset that the 4 man crew of the boat were like 'dogs on heat'. After sailing across some open water which was a bit rough we stopped for dinner everyone on the boat was really nice. That night we expanded our knowledge of drinking games and had a good night.

In the morning we travelled to our dive site and with the 2 other divers went on an unguided dive which was really good. An underwater canyon was probably the highlight. However, the 3 lads were told off by our female dive companion for going too fast.

That evening on the boat was similar to the first night with lots of drinks and fun. Next morning we visited the spectacular Whitehaven Beach and kitted out in stinger suits had a refreshing swim in the sea, whilst it rained. We went back to the boat for lunch and then snorkelled that afternoon. The snorkelling was great and we managed to meet and swim with the famous fish ''Elvis'', which is about 4ft long.

Afterwards, we headed back to shore to Airlie Beach, and that evening met up with the people from our boat for a good night out on land. The night was obviously too good as we missed our bus at 11.15 the next morning and so had to wait till 6 for the next one down to Rockhampton, where we stopped to watch the england - ecuador game before boarding another bus down to Hervey Bay.

Posted by furzechase 00:18 Archived in Australia Tagged transportation

Email this entryFacebookStumbleUpon

Table of contents

Be the first to comment on this entry.

This blog requires you to be a logged in member of Travellerspoint to place comments.

Enter your Travellerspoint login details below

( What's this? )

If you aren't a member of Travellerspoint yet, you can join for free.

Join Travellerspoint